Scholarship Opportunity Detail Page
S-STEM Scholarship Program @ Univ. TX - Pan American
|Scholarship Provider:||Funded by the National Science Foundation|
|Description:||This S-STEM Scholarship project at the University of Texas Pan American through funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF) aims to:
1. Recruit academically talented high school students to pursue one of the following S-STEM fields at UTPA - BS in Physical Science, BS in Physics or BS in Chemistry;
2. Promote STEM careers among high school students; and
3. Provide quality training, development, education, and student support services to S-STEM scholars to enable them to persist in their STEM field and finish their degree in a timely manner.
This project provides:
1. Scholarships of up to $10,000 per year for a period of up to four years to at least 18 academically talented but financially needy students from local high schools.
2. A continuing academic mentoring support where each group of four to five S-STEM scholars will be provided with junior/senior mentors during their freshman to junior year.
3. Career counseling and placement support to S-STEM scholars.
|Scholarship Amount:||Up to $10,000.00|
|School Type Requirement:||Four Year College
|Applicant Class Requirement:||See other comments for more details
|Minority Status Requirement:||No Restrictions or See other comments below
|Citizenship Requirement:||U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Legal Resident
|Applicant Requirement:||Need Based
|Length of Award:||More Than One Year
|Minimum GPA:||See Other Comments Below for GPA|
|Other Comments:||Eligibility Requirements:
Be a US citizen, permanent resident, national or refugee.
Demonstrate financial need.
Be an entering freshman/sophomore at UTPA
Must have a high school GPA of 3.25 or better in math and science and SAT > 1100 or ACT > 24.
Must pursue one of the following STEM degrees at UTPA: BS Physical Science, BS Physics or BS Chemistry.
Must enroll full-time (at least 12 credit hours per semester).
To be fully considered for the S-STEM scholarships, you need to provide the following:
Completed Application Form
A 200 – 300 words essay describing your academic and career plan(s).
Three (3) Letters of Recommendation from your science/math teachers or counselor(s).
Completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Evidence of SAT, ACT scores and GPA
High School transcripts of record.
Deadline: January 15, 2014 for Fall 2014 awards
Scholarship Opportunity Contact Information
Dr. Edgar Corpuz, UTPA S-STEM Scholarship Committee Chair
Dept. of Physics & Geology, The University of Texas-Pan American
1201 W. University Dr.
Edinburg,, TX 78539
Phone: (956) 665-2153